Do you want a complete reference guide about all issues diabetes? Pick up a duplicate of Diabetes Head to Toe (affiliate hyperlink) by Rita R. Kalyani, MD, MHS, Mark D. Corriere, MD, Thomas W. Donner, MD, and Michael W. Quartuccio, MD, all of whom are physicians at Johns Hopkins.
Full disclosure: Both Dr. Kalyani and I are members of the DiabetesSisters Board of Directors. I met her for the primary time in particular person final May and we exchanged books. I gave her a duplicate of The Pocket Carbohydrate Counter Guide for Diabetes and he or she shared Diabetes Head to Toe with me. We had enjoyable evaluating our guide writing experiences.
Dr. Kalyani is on the forefront of the motion to educate well being care professionals about diabetes language and stigma and her guide displays that. You gained’t discover any judgments, simply plenty of sensible details about overcoming denial, educating your self, and making applicable way of life modifications.
What’s Included in Diabetes Head to Toe?
- Chapter 1: A Quick Overview of Diabetes
- Chapter 2: Diagnosis, Screening, and Types of Diabetes
- Chapter three: General Aspects of Diabetes
- Chapter four: Diabetes in Special Populations
- Chapter 5: Lifestyle and Behavioral Changes in Diabetes
- Chapter 6: Obesity and Diabetes
- Chapter 7: Diabetes Complications and Other Conditions Common in Diabetes
- Chapter eight: An Overview of Treatments for Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
- Chapter 9: Medications Commonly Used to Treat Diabetes
- Chapter 10: Medications for Conditions Related to Cardiovascular Disease
- Chapter 11: Diabetes Technology and Equipment
- Chapter 12: Cutting-Edge and Future Treatments for Diabetes
What You’ll Learn
Diabetes Head to Toe discusses the fundamentals, in fact, together with variations between Type 1 and Type 2, the significance of blood glucose monitoring, carb counting, the plate technique, and coverings.
The bulk of the guide (Chapter 7) discusses how diabetes impacts your whole physique and goes by way of every organ and system in nice element. It additionally covers melancholy and psychological well being.
- Brain: stroke, dementia, and melancholy
- Eyes: retinopathy, cataracts, and macular edema
- Ears: listening to loss
- Mouth: tooth and gum illness
- Thyroid: thyroid illness
- Heart: coronary heart illness, congestive coronary heart failure, hypertension, dyslipidemia (irregular ldl cholesterol and triglycerides), and metabolic syndrome
- Circulation: peripheral arterial illness
- Lungs: obstructive sleep apnea
- Stomach, Gut, Liver, and Pancreas: gastroparesis, celiac illness (and Type 1), nonalcoholic fatty liver illness (NAFLD), and pancreatitis
- Kidneys: diabetic kidney illness, dialysis, and kidney transplantation
- Bladder: bladder issues together with urinary incontinence
- Nerves: peripheral and autonomic neuropathy
- Feet: amputation, foot ulcers, wound therapeutic, neuroarthropathy (Charcot Joint Disease)
- Muscle, Skin, and Bones: pores and skin circumstances, muscle and joint ailments, osteoporosis, and vitamin D deficiency
- Cancer and Diabetes: frequent cancers and pancreatic most cancers
- Anemia, Infections, and Immune System: anemia and infectious ailments
- Men’s Health: male sexual difficulties, erectile dysfunction, and low testosterone
- Women’s Health: being pregnant, gestational diabetes, feminine sexual difficulties, menopausal results, menstrual cycle results, and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
My Thoughts about Diabetes Head to Toe
- As somebody with each NAFLD and PCOS, I used to be thrilled to see a dialogue of the tie between each circumstances and diabetes. Most data you see about both assumes you could have that situation and nothing else.
- I acquired a bit overwhelmed studying Chapter 7 multi functional sitting. Realizing the results that diabetes can have on your whole physique techniques generally is a little miserable. However, data is energy and now I’ll be extra vigilant about prevention.
- Although I attempt to observe my physician’s recommendation, watch my weight loss program, and train often, there was one time when, it doesn’t matter what I did, my BGs weren’t in vary. I beat myself up till I discovered a brand new endocrinologist who instructed me it wasn’t my fault. It actually struck house after I learn “Type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease, and even if you do everything right, you may still need higher doses or more medications over time” in Diabetes Head to Toe.
- The books incorporates many anatomical drawings that, as a visible particular person, I discovered extraordinarily useful. For instance, the liver is increased up than I spotted and it’s monumental!
- I like that there’s a quick part on complementary and various therapies corresponding to meditation, yoga, and dietary supplements like cinnamon and chromium.
- The appendix incorporates a useful desk itemizing the entire diabetes drugs at the moment accessible within the U.S. Chapter 9 describes every class of drug in nice element.
- Each part of the guide is adopted by a highlighted paragraph entitled “What Does It All Mean?” This interprets the medical language into plain English. Even in the event you don’t have time to learn the entire guide, you’ll study loads simply by studying the data within the blue containers.
- I respect the reasons of varied lab checks. For instance, my physician at all times retains a watch on my ALT and AST liver enzymes, however I by no means actually understood what they have been. There can be a great clarification of the assorted kidney perform checks like creatinine, GFR, and albumin.
“Type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease, and even if you do everything right, you may still need higher doses or more medications over time.” – Diabetes Head to Toe
Diabetes Head to Toe is a guide to scan and preserve in your bookshelf for future reference when particular issues come up throughout your diabetes journey. All sections of the guide is not going to apply to you personally, however the ones that do will present worthwhile perception and steering. Everyone’s diabetes is completely different and this guide completely addresses that truth.